Jr. Program Literacy Coach
Summer 2021 Lead Teacher | Position Description
Overview: Horizons at New Canaan Country School is seeking exceptional lead teacher candidates for Summer 2021. The Lead Teacher is responsible for the planning and execution of their summer curriculum for their students and for creating a classroom environment that supports the Horizons mission of empowering students who take risks, learn from failure, and feel affirmed in their leadership.
About Horizons: Started in 1964, Horizons at New Canaan Country School has grown to be a K-12 Academic and Enrichment Program serving close to 500 students from Stamford and Norwalk. The purpose of the program is to help students grow in their academic and overall personal development so that they are able to pursue their dreams and fulfill their ultimate potential. The program is anchored by a 6-week summer program hosted at New Canaan Country School for its K-8 students where students have a daily schedule that includes academics, enrichments (including sports, art, and music), and daily afternoon swimming. Class size is 12 students and the teacher has the opportunity to design a curriculum that fits the needs of the students- emphasizing project based learning and creative ways of teaching content. We have a veteran and diverse faculty who share a commitment to our students and their families.
The Lead Teacher is responsible for the following:
- Creating and sharing a curriculum for their students that emphasizes project based learning and is comprehensive of academic and personal growth standards and CT priority standards.
- Execute the curriculum during the 5-week summer program including the summer theme. Students attend the program from 8:15am to 3:00pm from Tuesday, June 22 through Friday, July 31st.
- Create a classroom environment that supports the Horizons mission of empowering students who take risks, learn from failure, and feel affirmed in their leadership.
- Develop specialized learning plans for students on an as needed basis.
- Work in partnership with an assigned Teaching Assistant in their classroom to enhance student learning; support the development of the assigned Teaching Assistant.
- Partner with colleagues so that the student experience is consistent between classes and connected to the summer theme.
- Actively participate in afternoon recreational swimming each afternoon with students.
- Attend faculty development days Wednesday, June 23rd, Thursday, June 24 and Friday, June 25.
The ideal applicant will demonstrate the following:
- Commitment to the Horizons mission and deep belief in the potential of each child
- Ability to build strong relationships with students, families, and colleagues in a short period of time
- Creativity and experience developing theme or project based units that expose students to content they may not receive during the regular school year
- Experience proctoring standardized assessments, summarizing test data and using it to inform whole group, small group and individual instruction.
- Strong organization and systems; can manage multiple projects and adapt to challenges and changes.
- Teaching experience of at least 2 years preferred; Bachelor’s Degree required
Open positions: We are hiring for the following positions:
- Jr. Program Literacy Coach
To apply: To apply please click the "APPLY NOW" button and attach your resume to the required "Please attach your APPLICATION" field.
If you have any further questions, please reach out to Lavone Roberson at email@example.com
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.