1. What is the Horizons Summer Program?
Horizons’ six-week intensive K through 8th grade Summer Program, hosted on the campus of New Canaan Country School (NCCS), serves approximately 260 children. Our program is a unique blend of academics and enrichment. (learn more)
2. Who is eligible to apply?
- Students from Stamford, Norwalk, or New Canaan, and Darien Connecticut
- Be enrolled in grades K-7 at the time of application
- Qualify for free or reduced price lunch in their schools (or otherwise establish you are from a low-income family)
- Commit to attending the six-week summer program daily
3. When will we receive admissions notification from Horizons?
The admissions committee meets in February and you will be notified in March if we have an available place for your child. Sending an application does not ensure a place for your child.
4. What is the cost for the program?
- Horizons is a full scholarship program
- An annual $75 registration fee ($25 for additional children in the program).
- You pay this fee only if your child is accepted into the program. You do not need to send any money now.
5. Where is the program held?
The program takes place on the campus of the New Canaan Country School in New Canaan, CT.
- 635 Frogtown Road, New Canaan, CT 06840.
6. What are the dates and hours of the Horizons Summer Program?
- The program runs for six weeks from late June through early August.
- Monday through Friday from 8:15 AM. until 3:00 PM.
7. Do you provide transportation?
- School buses pick up students at designated bus stops near their homes, transport them to New Canaan Country School, and take them home at the end of the day.
- Bus service is provided for Stamford, Norwalk, and New Canaan students to and from campus.
- There is currently no bus service provided for students living in Darien.
8. Do you provide meals?
- We provide a breakfast, lunch and a snack every day.
9. What is the attendance policy?
Students are expected to be here every day for the full six weeks. If you take your child on vacation during the program or if your child has unexcused absences, he or she will not be invited to return the following summer.
10. Where and when should applications be turned in?
- The online portion of applications is due December 14.
- Supporting documents are due on January 8.
- Please call the office if you are having trouble submitting your application electronically.
11. What programming is available for K-7 students after the Summer Program ends?
Horizons School Year Programming (learn more) begins in September and is only available only to those children who have participated in the summer program.
12. What happens to my 8th grader after the Summer Program ends?
All 8th grade Summer Program graduates are encouraged to register for Horizons High School Program. (learn more). In order to participate, students and parents must fill out an application before the 9th grade school year begins.