1. What is the Horizons Summer Program?
Horizons’ six-week intensive K through 9th grade Summer Program, hosted on the campus of New Canaan Country School (NCCS), serves approximately 300 children. Our program is a unique blend of academics and enrichment. (learn more)
2. Who is eligible to apply?
- Students from Stamford and Norwalk Public and Public Charter Schools
- Be enrolled in grades K, 2nd, or 4th at the time of application. Students in grades 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, or 7th may place their names on a waiting list.
- Qualify for free or reduced priced meals in their schools (or otherwise establish that your household income qualifies you for free or reduced priced meals.)
- Commit to attending the six-week summer program daily and to staying active in the program year-round through high school graduation.
3. When will we receive admissions notification from Horizons?
The admissions committee meets in February and you will be notified in early March if we have an available place for your child. Sending an application does not ensure a place for your child.
4. What is the cost for the program?
- Horizons is a full scholarship program
- An annual $75 registration fee ($25 for additional children in the program).
- You pay this fee only if your child is accepted into the program. You do not need to send any money now.
5. Where is the program held?
The program takes place on the campus of the New Canaan Country School in New Canaan, CT.
- 635 Frogtown Road, New Canaan, CT 06840.
6. What are the dates and hours of the Horizons Summer Program?
- The program runs for six weeks from late June through early August.
- Monday through Friday from 8:15 AM. until 3:00 PM.
7. Do you provide transportation?
- School buses pick up students at designated bus stops near their homes, transport them to New Canaan Country School, and take them home at the end of the day.
- Bus service is provided for Stamford and Norwalk students to and from campus.
8. Do you provide meals?
- We provide a breakfast, lunch and a snack every day.
9. What is the attendance policy?
Students are expected to be here every day for the full six weeks. If you take your child on vacation during the program or if your child has unexcused absences, he or she will not be invited to return the following summer or participate in school year programming.
10. Where and when should applications be turned in?
- The online portion of applications is due December 16, 2020.
- Supporting documents are due January 15, 2021.
- Please email the Horizons office (Admissions@horizonskids.org) if you are having trouble submitting your application electronically.
11. What programming is available for K-7 students after the Summer Program ends?
Horizons School Year Programming (learn more) begins in September and is only available only to those children who have participated in the summer program.
12. What happens to my 8th grader after the Summer Portion of the Horizons Program ends?
All 8th grade Summer Program graduates are encouraged to register for Horizons High School Program. (learn more). In order to participate, students and parents/guardians must fill out an application before the 9th grade school year begins.
Starting Summer 2020, All 8th grade students will be eligible to participate in a Horizons 9th Grade Summer. (learn more)
Si necesita esta informacion en Español, por favor escribanos a Admissions@horizonskids.org
Si ou ta renmen enfòmasyon sa eksplike an Kreyòl, tanpri imel Admissions@horizonskids.org
Si vous souhaitez que cette information soit expliquée en Français, veuillez envoyer un courriel à Admissions@horizonskids.org