Horizons at New Canaan Country School (NCCS) was founded in 1964 and is the flagship program for what has become a national movement. There are now over 60 Horizons programs across the United States and counting. Each year we serve over 400 under-resourced students in kindergarten through post-secondary, the majority of whom live in Stamford and Norwalk. Our program includes a robust 6-week summer program for more than 270 students and a school year program with academic, enrichment and caregiver programming. We raise our entire budget annually from private sources to ensure that each child can attend tuition-free.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to Nancy von Euler, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the position.
To build a more just and equitable society.
Transforming the lives of underserved children and youth through year-round academic and enrichment programs to inspire learning, encourage success, and close the opportunity gap.
- Equity through Opportunity
- Educating the Whole Child
- Joyful and Nurturing Community
Tutors are assigned students according to student need and tutor availability. Tutors work with students 1:1, virtually or in person, by agreement with the Academic Director and parent(s)/guardian(s). Students typically receive an hour of tutoring per week either in 1 or 2 sessions. The Academic Director provides guidance on academic needs and strengths and access to school-based reports in order to establish tutoring goals and content.
- Develop weekly content for tutoring sessions to help assigned students meet identified grade level standards.
- Maintain excellent communication with parents/guardians and Academic Director.
- Complete weekly report documenting hours and notes on progress.
- Participate in monthly staff meetings and professional development
The ideal candidate will have:
- Passion for mission
- Experience working with children and youth
- Bachelor’s degree. Degree in education preferred
- Knowledge of Norwalk and Stamford communities and resources preferred.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
Compensation: $50 - $65 per hour based on experience
Note: Tutors are not guaranteed a standard number of hours or assigned students. All in person tutoring must be conducted in a public location, such as a library. All tutor candidates must pass a background check before being assigned students. Tutors are on a per diem basis.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.